Day 11 of our 12 Recipes of Christmas special.
Servings 6 - 8
- 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked ziti pasta
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 jar (32 ounces) marinara sauce (4 cups)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 container (16 ounces) Ricotta cheese
- 3 ounces (1 cup) Keystone Farms Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 container (8 ounces) Fresh Mozzarella cheese – Pearls, drained
- 6 ounces (1 1/2 cups) Keystone Farms Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage, onion, oregano and red pepper flakes in olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in marinara sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove sauce from the heat.
- Drain pasta; transfer to a large bowl. Stir in 2 cups meat sauce. Set aside.
- Combine the ricotta, parmesan and cream in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread a 1/2 cup meat sauce in a greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Layer with a third of the reserved pasta mixture, 1/2 cup meat sauce, half of the ricotta mixture and a third of the fresh mozzarella pearls. Repeat layers, starting with the pasta mixture.
- Top with the remaining pasta mixture, meat sauce and fresh mozzarella pearls. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned and sauce is bubbly.