‘Tomato tomahto’ - did you know this expression was popularised due to a song by George and Ira Gershwin from 1937, “Let’s Call the Whole Thing Off” (watch the video here). Well, however you may pronounce it, it still remains a staple in every kitchen across the world.
Let’s get cracking at making Grilled Stuffed Tomatoes; it’ll take you all of 35 minutes to prepare. And don’t forget to tag us in the pictures when you upload them on Instagram :)
Gather these ingredients before you start...
- 8 medium tomatoes
- 1 container (8 ounces) Mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 ounces Fresh Mozzarella cheese – Ball, torn
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed and melted
Now, that you’ve got all your ingredients, let’s get right into the process…
- Grease the grill grate and heat the grill to medium.
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato. Scoop out and discard the pulp, leaving a 1/2-inch shell. Now, invert the tomatoes on paper towels to drain out the water.
- Combine the mascarpone, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, basil, garlic and lemon zest in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste and gently fold in mozzarella.
- Next, you’ll season the tomatoes with salt and pepper as per your taste. Spoon the freshly prepared mascarpone mixture into the tomatoes. Combine butter and remaining bread crumbs in a small bowl and sprinkle over the top. Transfer tomatoes to a lightly greased grill grid.
- Place on the grill grate. Grill the tomatoes, covered, over medium heat for 14-16 minutes or until heated through and cool slightly before serving.
And you’re done! Grilled Stuffed Tomatoes are great for summer get-togethers and can even be enjoyed cold on a picnic day.