Day 6 of our 12 Recipes of Christmas special.
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 2 cups prepared stuffing
- 8 ounces (2 cups) Keystone Farms Fontina cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup gravy
- 4 large eggs
- Minced fresh herbs, optional
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Cool completely.
- Combine the sausage, stuffing and fontina in a large bowl. Spread mashed potatoes over the bottom of a greased 11 x 7-inch baking dish. Layer with stuffing mixture; spoon gravy over top. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Make four shallow wells in the casserole, using the back of a spoon. Carefully crack an egg into each well. Bake for 14-16 minutes longer or until egg whites and yolks are firm. Garnish with fresh herbs if desired.
Fontina is Swedish style cheese. It has a slightly tart, nutty and mild earthy flavor that can be mellow to sharp depending on age.
Remember to adjust your ingredients according to the number of family or guests, and send us your pictures at @keystonefarmcheese to be featured on our Instagram. We'd really love that!