Sausage and Three-Cheese Lasagna - 12 Recipes of Christmas
Day 4 of our 12 Recipes of Christmas special.
Homemade lasagna is the best. It tastes nothing like the ones from the frozen food aisle. This recipe is a keeper and it brings together all of the things we love in a good pasta - noodles, cheeses and fresh herbs.
It's a great way to feed a crowd and a perfect dish to bring to a holiday potluck. It freezes well. It reheats well and the leftovers will keep you happy for days.
Our favorite part? The cherry on top of course or in this case the fresh Mozzarella.
Servings 10 - 12
- 2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 32 ounces of marinara sauce
- 16 ounces Creamery Ricotta cheese
- 1 cup, grated Keystone Farm's Asiago cheese
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil
- 1 large egg
- 12 oven-ready lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces, grated Keystone Farm's Fresh Mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Cook sausage and onion in a large skillet over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in marinara sauce; heat through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, combine the ricotta, asiago, basil and egg in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread 2 cups meat sauce in the bottom of a greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Layer with four noodles, 2/3 cup ricotta mixture, 2 cups meat sauce and 1 cup mozzarella. Repeat layers twice, starting with four noodles.
- Cover dish with greased aluminum foil. Bake for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake for 15 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is lightly browned. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
- One 12-ounce box of oven-ready lasagna noodles yields 15 noodles.
- Make-ahead tip: This lasagna could be prepared a day ahead. Cool; cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from refrigerator 40 minutes before baking. Bake as directed.
Remember to adjust your ingredients according to the number of family or guests, and send us your pictures at @keystonefarmcheese to be featured on our Instagram. We'd really love that!
Leave a comment